[Dailydrool] Basset Mix

Tim Mayer tcm541 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 13:23:41 PDT 2018

My first hound was a basset mix. Beethoven. He was half Shar Pei. Yeah,
you'd think the monster would be wrinkled, right? Nope. Little bugger
looked like a slightly stocky beagle with shorter legs than normal. (But he
was ALL bassetude.)

I had another hound after that - Maggie, bad breeding but all basset. When
she was getting older, I rescued a mix from Oregon Basset Rescue. Her name
was Leia. (Leia Round...'cause that's what she did best!) Being a
basset/beagle mix, she also looked mostly beagle with short legs - shorter
ears, more pointed muzzle, eyes weren't droopy. She was also rather rotund.
Another reason the name Leia Round fit exceptionally well.

Dexter and Reginald, my two boys now, are pure basset, but surprisingly
different - one is long in the leg and muzzle, the other is long in the
back with a hefty head and muzzle. Genetics is a strange science.

Tim