[Dailydrool] Introducing a New Basset to a different Breed

Sally Russell sally at slokr.com
Wed Oct 10 07:13:16 PDT 2018

We have always had two bassets until we rescued our Shih Tzu three years
ago and introduced him to our 11 year old basset, Browser.  They bonded
beautifully even though Browser was blind from glaucoma and so much older.

Browser left for the bridge over a year ago and we have been searching for
a small basset (as per our condo rules) and not a puppy or a senior (as we
both are seniors).  We wanted to rescue a basset as all our other 5 had
been from excellent breeders.

Carolina Basset Rescue, whose praises I cannot sing loud enough, have found
us Nellie.  A three year old, around 35 pound basset who is in remarkably
good health.  She has been with a foster family, who are terrific, in
Asheville for a month now.  She will be arriving at our home on October 20.

My question:  any tips on introducing another breed of dog to a basset?
Our Shih Tzu, Sprite, will most definitively be the Alpha.  That is his
personality and he is a fantastic dog all the way around.

We hear Nellie is more of a quiet little girl who has been living with 5
other bassets extremely well.

Is there anything we should be concerned about?  Any suggestions will be
most welcome..

Hoping we two seniors are up to the task!

Sally, Bert and Sprite