[Dailydrool] Duncan the (not-so) perfect

Nancy Candray speedsterbasset at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 10 12:23:58 PDT 2018

Mommy person here. I know Duncan has told stories about how perfect he is. A few weekends ago I had to break it to him that he’s not-so-perfect.

We were invited to a BBQ where dogs were welcomed. Convinced that Duncan would be well mannered, I took Duncan along.

So we go, greet every person and then a Boston puppy shows up, unaltered, full of puppy 10 month old energy and cute as a button.

At first Boston puppy wanted to dominate Duncan. Duncan DOES NOT like to be dominated. Ok we allowed Duncan to show Boston Puppy his limit.  We are all ok with it. After a while, though, Boston puppy wanted to forget the dominating as long as Duncan played. Nope, Duncan would growl if he even neared him. As the day wore one and every one (and I mean everyone) had petted and massaged and shown love to Duncan, Boston puppy thought “hey I want some love”. But Duncan wasn’t having it either. Person A would pet Duncan and if Duncan saw Person B pet Boston puppy, Duncan ran over in a flash and growled. “How DARE Boston puppy be loved” Then person C shared love, Duncan ran over there to prevent Boston puppy from being petted.

The whole time there Duncan didn’t let puppy be petted. I had to tell Duncan he had to share. It was not polite to not share and that he was not perfect if he continued like this. Duncan did not chose to listen. We went home and repeated the lecture. I’m sure by the time we go to our next dog event he will be telling everyone he’s perfect and then proceed to not share attention.

BTW now each time I see people from the BBQ they ask me how Duncan is. It is only after I give them a Duncan update that they say “hi Nancy how are you?”

Nancy with Duncan and Rambo the Shar Pei
speedsterbasset at yahoo.com