[Dailydrool] Aging and demanding Hounds

K. Green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 09:49:52 PDT 2018

I read about Snoopy and his crockpot meals with a smile on my face. Cowboy
is very much the same. Having turned 12 this past August and being an only
hound for the first time in 10 years, he is so very demanding - though he
always has been, so it's hard to tell how much has changed due to age or if
it's just more noticeable since he is the only one yelling at me these days
(aside from the 9 month old human baby!)

Typically on a work day, after putting in 9 hours of "work", I pick up the
babe and we come home to a cat on the porch demanding dinner and Cowboy in
the house demanding where we've been, why it's so late, and how come there
is no dinner in the bowl. I hurriedly put everything down baby included,
and make his bowl, add his cheese and hot water and place it in front of
his majesty to devour.

**Fingers crossed it meets his standards, or else I may need to reapply
cheese and/or "something better" so he will eat the actual dog food.**

Immediately upon completing the portion of said meal that he deemed worthy,
he again begins yelling until he gets his "after-dinner treat," which
consists of a piece of jerky. Sometimes (read: most times) he swallows it
nearly whole and demands another piece.

Then he begins again and is given a dehydrated piece of beef liver with his
CBD oil on top.

At that point he saunters back to my bedroom where he fusses about until I
hoist him onto the bed. A few hours later, when Frankie, James and I go to
bed, there lies the king - snuggled atop our pillows, or under our covers.
Best not to disturb his majesty and just find a spot to lie down, whether
or not we actually fit in our designated spot or have access to our
pillows.

Ahhh, the life of a basset slave.... I wouldn't trade it for the world, but
gee it sure does take some patience.

Drool on,
Kacy with Cowboy