[Dailydrool] Basset Mixes

lois.leader lois.leader lois.leader at cox.net
Tue Oct 30 13:17:18 PDT 2018

I loved the story about the Basset who went to school, Sally. Our houndies would have had such a howling good time they would have been expelled! Kudos to that teacher for his creative problem-solving.

I have a question about Basset mixes. We now have our Emma the Aussie Basset Dog, who is a Basset/Australian Cattle Dog mix, and we've been fascinated by the combination of breed characteristics we see in her. She is very scent-focused and can go flat Basset on a walk with the best of them, but she also exhibits the Cattle Dog stare. She will lock eyes with an approaching dog with such intensity that she unnerves both dog and owner. She never growls or lunges, just stares. And she nips at fingers and heels. Her body type is Basset, but her coloring is Red Heeler and she has a stumpy tail. I was wondering what experience others have had with Basset mixes. It seems they usually have the coloring of the other breed with the dwarfism of the Basset. What kind of trait characteristics do your mixed Bassets have? Do they lean more toward the Basset side of the scale? Just curious. We've never had a mix before.

Love the Drool. Best. Resource. Ever.

Lois Leader with Emma the Aussie Basset Dog and Dobby the House Elf

lois.leader at cox.net mailto:lois.leader at cox.net