[Dailydrool] ISO of mainland basset breeders

Shawn Merrill hicmdo1 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 19:27:26 PDT 2018

Aloha Droolers:

We would like to add to to our happy Ohana (family) here on the Big Island
of Hawaii, but there is only one breeder in HI (she is located on Oahu) and
I am
#58 in line for a female and #49 in line for a male puppy. While there are
a few rescue groups here in HI, there are NO basset hound rescues. Basset
Hounds are NOT a breed you see here and lots of people mistake them for
Chihuahua's (belive it or not) if they can identify them at all. Between
Val (a regular contributor here on the Daily Drool) and I, we are aware of
only 8 bassets on this "big rock in the middle of the ocean" and she and I
have 4 of those 8.

Because HI has some strict rules governing pets coming from the mainland
(HI is rabies free), my husband and I are looking for a breeder who is
willing to work with us get pass the hurdles (the plus side is HI just
recently relaxed the 120 day wait time to 30 days). We have 2 Bassets we
brought over from CA when we moved here in 2015, so we are familiar with
the "rules" and requirements.

We are not opposed to a resue basset, but keep in mind, the flight from the
west coast to HI is 5+hours so the we can not, sadly, adopt a senior as it
would not be fair/right to subject that fur baby to that kind of stress. We
are amiable to meet the puppy/dog at a west coast airport (LAX or SFO
preferred) and then fly to HI from there a few days later as the flight has
to be direct to HI and we have to have *permits* to fly them here (some
of many rules).

We look forward to hearing from you with your recommendations, or hear from
any reputable breeder who is expecting or has puppies available for
sale/adoption.

Please email me at: hicmdo1 at gmail.com

Mahalo

Shawn and Bob Merrill