[Dailydrool] Bad backs

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 16:37:12 PDT 2019

Reading Wen and Julie's stories about their hound's bad backs took me back
four years when we went through the same thing with Shadow. You both knew
to get your hound to the right place quickly and I'm sure you will have the
same good results that we have had with Shadow. After looking at Shadow's
MRI and talking to the surgeon, we felt fortunate that she didn't gone down
earlier than she did and we have been very lucky that she hasn't gone down
since then because she has severe IVD. They fenestrated the discs they
could get to so, if she blew one of those, the disc material would blow out
away from the spinal cord instead of into it but they were only able to do
the ones they could get to during her surgery and there are a bunch more
that are in terrible shape. The recovery was long but she was almost nine
at the time so it was a little easier to keep her quiet then than it would
have been if she was younger. Plus we were able to set up a couple of xpens
in our family room where we spend most of our time so she wasn't isolated.
Shadow is 13 now and has recovered almost 100%. We still can't take long
walks without her back legs getting a little wobbly and we try to pick her
up to get off the couch but she is able to scamper around and cruise the
back yard like she always done. There were no guarantees that the surgery
would be successful but, because we went as soon as she went down, we had a
good chance of it being successful and it has been. I'm sure it will be for
Wen and Julie's hounds too!

It has been so much fun reading about your Blanca, Doug. I have a feeling
the queen has arrived at your house and your family is in training! She
sounds just wonderful and I know she's right where she belongs.

The hounds are slinging lots of get well and heart healing drool to all in
need.

Jane, Toby & the Houndettes
Shadow & Suzy