[Dailydrool] D at mn beagles

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Apr 13 02:21:08 PDT 2019

Some of you may be wondering about the earlier mention of a d at mn beagle. So, this is the story so far (most of which Clara knows nothing about).
While working at one of the local all-breed, no kill shelters, I have seen hundreds of dogs who need new homes, literally hundreds. Many of them have appealed to me, but I have never felt the urge to take one home - until three weeks ago.
I was on clean-up duties in the Intake block where all the new arrivals go. There, having arrived the afternoon before, was a tiny beagle. I spoke to her through the door, as I do with all of them, and she tried her best to worm through the bars to get to me. I went back a few times during my shift and every time it was the same. She seemed special.
So special, that at the end of my shift I went to the office and filled in an application form to adopt her.
I popped in at the weekend and asked about timescale. I was told she hadn't been assessed yet, but they would let me know. The following week, when I was on shift, I sought her out and was told she still hadn't been assessed. The next day I was told she had kennel cough, so that was the delay.
Then I got a phone call to take Clara in to meet her. As Clara is all but 15 and the beagle is four, I don't want Clara feeling usurped or unhappy in any way, so this was important. Clara is inoculated against kennel cough. On the day, we got an early morning call to say the beagle had been rushed to vetspital with a sore leg.
Then nothing.
So, the following week, while working, I went to the manager and asked what was happening. Apparently an X-ray had failed to find any problem with the leg, so the vet had put her on anti-inflammatories, to which she had so violently reacted, that she ended up on a drip and was still under observation.
So, I do not know if there is a damn beagle in my future. It sounds like the poor little thing has been through a lot and so far as I know, is still at the vetspital.
Sally, who hasn't told Clara, UK