[Dailydrool] Itchies, pills

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 14:54:35 PDT 2019

Suzy is our allergy Houndette. I was reluctant to use Apoquel because of
the potential side effects but, when the steroid shot didn't even touch her
itchies and allergy ears last spring, we decided to use it. We've
compromised and I will use it during her worst allergy time this year until
fall and then switch to the Cytopoint shot. That's what we did last fall to
give her a break off the Apoquel and it has worked pretty well. I felt that
it was a quality of life issue for her because she was absolutely
miserable. She chewed holes in her poor paws and her hip and was scooting
all the time. Nothing even began to minimize the itching. I figure, at
almost twelve years old, every day needs to be a good day for her and I'll
risk the side effects of the Apoquel if that's what it takes to make her
comfortable.

Suzy and Shadow are both on pills all the time here. We started giving
everyone a cream cheese treat after every meal years ago so, when someone
has to take a pill, I put it in the cream cheese and it's just a routine
thing. Fortunately, no one has had to take Tramadol so I'm not sure if I
could sneak that one by if it's that awful. I make the Golden Paste for the
hounds out of Turmeric and I think that stuff is foul but they don't seem
to mind it and swallow it right down with their meals.

Get well and heart healing drool to all in need.

Jane, Toby & the Houndettes
Shadow & Suzy