[Dailydrool] Itchies

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 05:06:23 PDT 2019

I agree with Bev on the itchies. I would try benadryl first. It is cheap
and incredibly safe. The usual dosing is a 25 mg pill for 25 pounds. It is
safe enough that your 40 pound dog can still take 2 pills. They get it
twice a day. You can give it 3 times a day, it just isn't as convenient to
the owner. Dogs do not metabolize antihistamines like we do. In general, it
doesn't knock them for a loop. I have given it to 10 different bassets. 2
couldn't move on it. 2 turned into complete maniacs on it (including Browyn
the Fairy Princess). The rest were completely fine. My dogs are so
allergic, I keep a bottle of liquid on each end of the house with an oral
syringe and the dosing in marker on the bottle. I haven't needed it with
these three, but Blitzen ATB developed anaphylactic shock from wasps and
she would not quit chasing the things. Anyway, Zyrtec and Claratin are also
safe. Just remember to get the straight antihistamine. NO decongestant.
D=dead dog. In general, zyrtec is better for itchies, but everyone is
different. Browyn and Beauford take zyrtec. Bugsey takes Claratin, I take
xyzal and hubby takes allegra. I know that zyrtec and claratin are safe. My
vet told me to use them. I do not know about the newer ones and safety with
dogs. Dogs metabolize these faster than we do. So, my 38-68 pound dogs have
always been prescribed 1 in the morning and one at night. Never ever under
estimate the power of a bath! Dogs go outside and get pollen in their fur
and it keeps that pollen right next to their skin. During high allergy
season I wash the dogs every week or two. I know lots of people that do it
up to three times a week. I have a decontamination station at the back
door. I wipe everyone down, especially feet with fragrance free baby wipes
and throw them in a trash can. After this, I would go to the vet and make
sure there isn't a secondary infection in the skin before doing allergy
testing or apoquel. I have done allergy testing on all three of my current
bassets. All three have had shots. Beauford has graduated. Then I would use
apoquel. It is just expensive for use long term. Just my two cents. I would
also say that if your dog have ANYTHING else going on health wise, do not
use any of my advise and CALL THE VET. Any preexisting condition could make
all of this null and void, except keeping a bottle of liquid benadry and an
oral syringe around at all times for an emergency! I believe this should be
in everyone's first aid kit. And seriously, write the dose on the bottle.
When your dogs comes to the door with their face all swollen and wheezing,
your math skills go out the window. Dose with benadryl and call vet. Unless
you have two people. Then the other person should be calling the vet. You
do not stop with the benadryl at that point! The benadryl just keeps the
dog breathing until you get to the vet. Obviously if it isn't this severe,
you dose and wait 15 minutes and see if they are better or worse. And still
call vet.

Jennifer who hase been through this too many times over the years with
Beauford, Bugsey, and Browyn the Fairy Princess