[Dailydrool] Guinness Update

Julie Canny julie.a.canny at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 10:27:17 PDT 2019

Yesterday, we took Guinness back to the emergency vet surgeon to have his staples out.  I had great concern over his lack of progress, and actual regression.  After his disc surgery he could feel his feet and wag his tail a little.  A few days ago, he lost the feeling in both legs and was unable to wag his tail.  He is also now incontinent and can no longer “pee purposefully”.  The Vet Neurologist/surgeon said that he had likely ruptured another disc as his Degenerative Disc Disease had already significantly damaged other discs.  Additional surgery is less than 10 percent successful.  From everything I’ve read this is usually something seen in older usually 11+ years old. Guinness is 7.  He can drag his rear end around.  He drinks water, but eats very little.  Our daughter flew in yesterday for Easter and went with me to the vets.  The vet gave us the hard talk.  We decided since he’s not in pain that we would bring him home.  We have to use a catheter 3 times a day to empty his bladder.  We could not put him down while daughter was here.  We’ll call our regular vet on Monday and decide when we will send him to the bridge.  He still loves having his neck and belly rubbed.  We have sent other dogs to the bridge when their time came, but all 4 were significantly older.  He is the youngest of our four hounds and one of those larger than life dogs.  The other three seem to know.

Sent from my iPad