[Dailydrool] Baffs

Pamela McQuade plmcquade at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 15:11:52 PDT 2019

Dear Droolers:
We know you all think we landed in clover here at the Dashing Basset
household: homemade treats when the mom gets around to making them, someone
home most of the time to keep us company, and all the other perks that
earlier hounds trained the mom in. But we had a TERRIBLE week in which this
human seems to have lost her mind.

She gave us both baffs this week. Dexter had to put up with this sad state
of affairs first, on Wednesday. I, Horton, was not in there, but I
understand she tipped him into the bafftub without giving him a chance to
escape. Since Dex cannot see, it was hardly fair. He came out of the room
so wet, even though she'd dried him off with towels.  She dared to complain
that he had not slowed down long enough to let her use a hairdryer on
him--as if we hounds had hair....Dex had used all the towels, so mama could
not do me in the same day. Instead, she had to wash the towels.

I was the second to suffer, the next day. The mama dragged me into the
baffroom and sprayed water on me, but not before I gave her a real fight
about getting in the bafftub. I escaped twice before she dragged me back in
and got me into that tub..I was wet, wet, wet for many hours
afterwards--perfectly disgusting, isn't it? The human tried to tell me that
if I had not shot out of the baffroom, she could have dried me--as if maybe
I had hair!

The mama is not at all sorry for this sad state of affairs. She says we
both have such beautiful, soft fur and that we do not smell--as if we
cannot use our noses effectively!

We had managed to escape this indignity for a long time while mama was
recovering from her surgeries, but it was not long enough. I say that
bassets do not need baths, and we certainly do not want them! The indignity
we have suffered was truly awful. The only thing that would have been more
awful would have been to be taken to a doggy spa and had such things done
to us in public. Our good friend Esther wanted the mama to do that, but
mama said Dex would have been disoriented in a strange place, and I would
have been too fearful, so she did the dirty deed herself.

Today, Dex had it worse than I did. He visited the vet because his left ear
has been hurty. They also trimmed his nails, since he no longer allows the
mama to do that, And he had to pee in a cup too.

I am just worried that if the mama follows her past methods, I might have
to go to the vet tomorrow. But she's said nothing about it, and Dex says
she spent enough on him that he does not think the bank will pay for such
things for me. Since Dex is often right, I hope I can keep from going
there. They are nice but scary there, though Dex says all the techs adore
him and call him handsome.
Horton, scribe for the Dashing Bassets, who are recovering from their
indignities