[Dailydrool] Paw licking

lois.leader lois.leader lois.leader at cox.net
Tue Aug 6 20:01:47 PDT 2019

I feel like I can chime in on this one. We had 2 confirmed paw lickers in the fur family. Scout's licking was due to allergies. It intensified in the spring and tapered off toward the end of summer after our intense heat had killed everything off. She was on a short-term course of steroids every year. One way we discovered that her licking was due to allergies was by washing her feet off regularly after a walk. The licking somewhat diminished, but only the low dose steroid treatment for a couple of months really stopped it. Your vet could do some allergy testing or try a short course of allergy meds.

Bobo licked when he felt stressed or bored. Licking can reduce stress hormones. If the problem was stress, we'd remove Bobo from the stressful situation (visiting children, for example.) We also sometimes used an infuser with lavender oil. If he just seemed to be licking for the fun of it, we'd divert his attention with a play session or a walk. We tried bitter apple, but he liked it.

Is Watson okay if you manipulate his paws, or does he draw his foot back? That could indicate pain.

Licking can be just a habit that develops. Putting booties on the pup for a bit to break the habit sometimes works. Hope you find something to do the trick. Give Watson a big ole belly rub from me!

Lois Leader with Emma the Aussie Basset Dog and Dobby the House Elf

lois.leader at cox.net