[Dailydrool] strange places

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 27 08:27:13 PDT 2019

Hi all, Dale here,
So ..... i have have my share of terrified bassets.  And they aren't like other dogs as you know.  I did find a way to help poor LuLu .....
the MOST important thing, in my experience, is to get the experience OVER WITH before the dog notices whats going on.
for example, we'd be walking along a quiet street and a person would appear and be gone .... (a neighbor I'd asked to walk past) ... or we'd go into the vets office .... I'd rush her onto the scale, grab a cookie from the jar and rush back out the door without speaking to anyone.  Rush rush rush in out done ..... and then talk to her all the way home   "wasn't it lovely?"  "did you like the cookie?"  "You were SUCH a good girl would you like an ice cream on the way home?"
Over a period of weeks she lost her fear of most things because, frankly, almost everything got over before she noticed it started.  And then she started to get curious ..... no no don't rush me out of here ... there's a dog over there I want to sniff.  Wait wait, stop a moment that person might have a treat.  LuLu became the one who wanted to explore, control .... she was a basset after all.
So, I highly recommend a variety of VERY QUICK pleasant experiences.  Maybe you could ask a neighbor to keep a cookie by the front door .... you could walk up on the porch and get it one day, perhaps knock and get it the next.  Maybe there is a shop or two in the village where you could leave a treat and then stop in to quickly retrieve it with Watson.
Good luck.
Dale