[Dailydrool] baby sitting

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 14 10:49:34 PST 2019

Hi all, Snoopy here,
Whew, baby sitting Chomper is exhausting.  Simply Exhausting.  Every time I lay down to take a nap he is right there, and when I wake up there he is ...... waiting ...... sniffing my snooter ..... inquiring if I want to play.  Of course I want to play let's play ..... ok .... that was great lets rest now ..... Chomper .... you know lay down and stay down and ...... whew.
Chomper smells my breath after meal time and we check each others bowls so he knows I get Snoopy stew.  He has lately started insisting that he, too, get Snoopy stew.  He is getting a tablespoon or two on his kibble so he doesn't feel cheated.
Chomper has GREATLY improved his howl.  It's awesome now.  One very long loud blast.  When he came here he had more of a bark.  Yes, he could run his barks together into something similar to a howl ..... but it was all wrong.  After two weeks of living with me you should hear this boy ..... one LONG LOUD blast.  When someone appoaches the house we alternate.  I howl, then he howls, then I howl, then he howls.  Then if they decide they still want to come all the way up on the porch someone opens the door and tries to allay the concerns of the person on the other side.
Which isn't so easy because Chomper snarls at strangers.  Lunges and snarls actually.  It's quite convincing if you want to know the truth.  He hasn't bitten anyone (that we know of) but we did notice that the surrenderer left the part of the questionnaire blank about how does your dog react if you take food away.  momPerson can take food away (she always tries this with a new dog), she can clean his ears, she can handle his feet and between his toes.  He mouthed her once or twice and she calmly and firmly told him NO .... he didn't bear down so it was all good.
If you are smiling and happy he is usually better, but if you are wary of dogs, or have a concerned look on your face, he will lunge at you snarling.  He has done this to several teenage girls whom Natalie brought home to meet him, scared them pretty good ..... but he didn't bite them and after a few minutes of reassuring (the girls, not Chomper) they were able to pet him and he was nice.
Chomper's fur is very, very soft.  He is very sweet and soothing and cuddly and momPerson says he would make a great therapy dog if he would quit snarling and lunging at people.  But then, she is clueless.  I see obedience training in Chompers future.  She taught him to sit for his cookie.  Poor boy is almost 5 and nobody taught him to sit for a cookie till now.
More later from Snoopy ..... who needs a napwith Chomper who wants a cookie