[Dailydrool] setting a timer

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 24 10:57:05 PDT 2019

Hi, the ever clueless momPerson here,
So, as you all know Snoopy is pretty old .... he's 14 now.  He still has one good eye and he can get around by himself.  He uses his dog door and his ramp.  He hollers for his bowl and comes to us for attention and plays with Chomper, he's a hoot.  He's also a sun dog, he's always enjoyed a good nap in the sun.  But now he's getting older ......
Yesterday was pretty darned hot.  I wasn't paying any attention to where he was, I was working from home.  We don't confine him, he has full access to the house and yard.  Anyway Chomper and I were in the office and I realized I hadn't seen him a while so I went looking ..... and I found him outside asleep in the sun.  Well Chomper woke him up and he got up and came inside with us, lay down in the living room on the rug, and promptly puked.  That was when I went over to check on him and realized just how hot he was.  I got some wash clothes with cool water and he let me cool off his ears and his belly with them which seemed to get his body temp down pretty fast ..... he got up and went and got a drink of water and was fine afterward.  Ate well last night and all is well.
I've now decided to set a timer (thanks Bev) when he wanders off and it's hot outside, for 15 minutes.  This way I can ensure he doesn't overheat.  I wanted to share as I know it's been hot across the country and a lot of us have "sun dogs" and dog doors ..... it's dangerous.  I'm very glad that Chomper and I went looking for Snoopy when we did ..... I have NO IDEA how long he'd been out there asleep in the sun.
DaleWith Snoopy (I'm fine, she's a worry wart) and Chomper (he wasn't fine, he really wasn't)