[Dailydrool] Unsocialized dogs

Pamela McQuade plmcquade at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 08:11:27 PDT 2019

Sally:
I do not know if they are available in the UK, but there are a number of
books that I read when we first got Horton that helped (though he will
never be the most social dog). Mostly I have found that he needs to be able
to set the pace. If people ignore him for a fairly long while, he will get
curious and come to them. But if they go away for a while after that, it
may have to start all over again. He needs to feel confident before he will
socialize, but once he does, he is fine.

The problem is not the dog, but the people. Most of them think that if they
ignore him for five minutes, he will be ready, and they reach out to him.
He will usually back off then, because he has to run the show. Since you
cannot control the people, you just have to let him be friends with the
real dog people who get it that he has to come to them.

The world would love to love Horton, since he is so cute, but he must have
had a terrible experience in his past.

Go slow and easy with Athena, and she may well improve greatly, but she may
also never be a social butterfly..

If you'd like a list of the books I read, just let me know--I found a few
on Amazon, so I hope they will be available on their UK site.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets