[Dailydrool] Socializing fearful dogs

James Emma djefla50 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 14:12:39 PDT 2019

I agree with all being said. Reggie is the opposite. He is highly social and I use the same “Leave it” command and the Look at Me with a treat to ignore a more aggressive dog or timid dog. He sits and waits to be approached instead of galloping over and giving a great sniff to other dogs and humans. Off the leash at the dog park, everyone is fair game. I go with a pocket full of treats so I have ammunition if I need the Look command or leave it. I have put him on leash in the dog park to discourage other humans to let their pesky little yappers jump all over Reggie’s head. Some people don’t understand that just because he is a very chill dog, if he gets hurt, he may bite. I’ve had to explain this concept to owners. TonyATB was very fearful. Right to the end he was a fear biter. He taught me a lot of lessons and did eventually remain calm when another dog walked by. The keys are patience and repetition.

Heartfelt sympathy to all that have lost a baby and drool to those in need.

Daria, the professional lurker , and Reggie
Sent from my iPad