[Dailydrool] scared dogs

LOIS LEMA lemalois at verizon.net
Mon Jun 24 14:27:43 PDT 2019

I would boost my confidence watching anyone with pastrami...especially if it was wrapped in good rye bread and some mustard!    seriously that is a good idea.
I would suggest also adding in maybe a sit  as well.   something that can keep them occupied for a moment until the horror passes.  my dexter is a therapy dog and he knows "leave it" which was supposed to be for food on the floor etc, but we use it for dogs walking nearby.  he stays 2' or so away from them & just ignores them.  they act like jerks and he is so good at it it doesn't phase him.  when he is in the right place (dog park, friends house etc it's ok to play, and I tell him so)
at some point I would enroll in an obedience class just for the confidence booster (ok skills too)..learning skills makes you brave.  being around other people makes you brave.  and patient.  after that you can try other classes if you want but som etimes it just takes learning and mastering new things with a patient owner to get your dog to chill out.  I did that with my buster who was a wild child and he LOVED obedience...I could see the light bulb go on over his head and from there on I could teach him anything I wanted..except how to not walk across tables...
good luck!    and send some pastrami my way...I can't get any good stuff up here in the northern hinterlands :-(
lois & dexter the therapy dog