[Dailydrool] James, James...... and other names

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 13 15:45:46 PDT 2019

Ah Bev. I know and love that poem. My dad used to read it to us when we were small and I now repeat it to my grandson slightly altered to fit his name - Josh James William.
On the subject of names, when we adopted Rolph he was Bertie, by the time we had driven 30 minutes home from the rescue he was re-named Rolphimis by my daughters. Older daughter wanted Rolph (famous wolf) and younger daughter wanted Artemis, after criminal mastermind Artemis Fowel (books by Eoin Colfer). Both were, of course, highly appropriate as it turned out.
Clara, however, chose her own name. Yes, she really did! At three-and-a-half she came to me named Blossom. I fully intended to keep her name, even though it wasn't a name I would have chosen. My younger daughter and I had discussed ways of slightly altering it. ... Flossie...Possum...nothing really sounded right.We took her home and she made herself comfortable, sniffing around. In typical basset fashion she roundly ignored us when we called her name, but oddly, every time I went to call her Blossom, in my head the name Clara was fighting to get out. Clara is not a name I had ever considered calling anything. Imagine my disbelief when my daughter suddenly called "Clara" and the new dog went trotting straight over to her. "Why did you call her Clara?" I asked. "I don't know," she replied. "Every time I opened my mouth to say Blossom, Clara was fighting to get out..... it just happened."
To this day, Clara has never answered to Blossom, but from that moment has always answered to Clara. I swear she chose it herself.
Sally, with Clara UK and Rolph ATB (still breaks my heart to write that).