[Dailydrool] Names etc

Riche Churchill ninedogs04 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 17 23:19:49 PDT 2019

Unable to quite let go of the subject, and sometimes a compulsive typist, have one (hopefully) more addition to the thread.
It doesn't seem to be done as much nowadays, but "in my day" it was not uncommon for show people to follow a theme in naming. One of my favorites was the Shoefly kennel of Sue and Andy Shoemaker in California, whose dogs pretty much all had names of liquors or mixed drinks, e.g., "Mint Julep." Another was the Bugle Bay kennel of James and Margery Cook in Texas, whose dogs nearly always had a food- or spice-related name. Jeanne Hills and her Musicland dog names usually were country-song related (her husband Wade being a star country singer). There were a few others, but most started with a theme and then abandoned it.
In my second life, think mine will be "Churchill's... um, something frightfully British." ("Pub Crawler" "Tuppence" "High Tea"?) Unless Churchill already is in use, in which case AKC won't allow me to use it. Bit of a downer, that.
Having been a publisher/editor for the past 100 years or so, am particularly sensitive about names, anyway, and detest super-long ones and weird foreign spellings. It used to be important to have a name people could remember; that doesn't seem to matter much anymore. To be fair, since one cannot use a name that has been or is being used, that is an obstacle one must overcome.
Riche
ninedogs04 at yahoo.com