[Dailydrool] Names etc

houndsabound at cfl.rr.com houndsabound at cfl.rr.com
Mon Mar 18 11:39:09 PDT 2019

HI all,
I have enjoyed reading all the posts of how folks name their hounds.
We have had many here, through fostering and now with sharing our home with
seniors.  Most have come to us with names, but that has never stopped us
from choosing a new name, for a new life, for them.   Many we have kept, if
truly it was their name, but the ones which come from shelters, well, they
say that is the dogs name, but not always so.
Our very first basset was found on our front lawn by our neighbor who took
her into their care.  Lisa called me up and told me about her and asked if I
wanted to come see her.  At the time, we had never been owned by a basset,
and we had a beagle and 2 cats, so I said I did not want to meet her,  I had
enough!    Well,  I thought about it, and Lisa had 2 wire fox terriers and
knew nothing about how hounds can be, so I succumbed the next day and went
over to meet "Lucy".
I walked in and saw this fat basset, her tummy was reddened and scraped from
dragging it over curbs or on sidewalks.  She had to have been dumped in our
yard cause she could not make it 3 house down and back again.  Anyhow, I
looked at her and told Lisa, her name was not Lucy, it was Bess.   It was
clear as day to me, and she responded to it and came home to start our love
affair with these sweet souls.  And she lost about 20 pounds and enjoyed her
evening walks with the Beagle!
Another one, we took in as a foster,  he had been at this rural shelter for
almost a year, and I talked them into letting me adopt him, they did not
want to let him go, saying he had cancer.  I didn't care,  he needed out.
So as we were driving home, him, riding shotgun, me picking fleas off him as
I saw them crawling on top of his fur (throwing them out the window on I4),
he looked at me and right then, I knew his name was Michael.    Michael did
pass away from bone cancer, but we gave him a couple of good years out of
that horrid flea run shelter, and all the love he could take in! And he gave
us the most beautiful baritone ever heard!
I will say I am prone to like the biblical names for the boys,  but he was a
Michael and it fit him well.

Just wanted to share a couple that I knew in my heart what their names were.
Some come to me, some do not.

Aroos and drool to all in need,
Wen and the Bounders