[Dailydrool] Names

Mary Wilson mary.gabriola at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 06:00:06 PDT 2019

We have had the honour of naming only one hound, the inimitable Paddi B
Basset. Her official name is Sunset’s Descanso Princess, and we gave her
much of that name, too. Sunset is her kennel name (the breeder, on
Vancouver Island, stopped breeding soon after Paddi. Hey, when you reach
the pinnacle of something... ) Descanso is the name of a bay on our small
island. The kennel naming convention was a local geographic feature.
Princess was the lovely Terri-airhead we had before Paddi... a
terrier/aeredale-ish cross who loved us dearly and was much missed when she
died young, of liver failure.

Paddi was my best friend’s name. She died at just over 40 of breast cancer.
She had always wanted a Basset. Though I must say that she was a woman with
white furniture and high standards o& household organization and I 5hink
it’s just as well I got the hounds!

Paddi was just Paddi at first, then I started calling her Paddi B (for
Basset!) and then somehow it got stretched out to Paddi B Basset. When
Billy came from the shelter, his name seemed too short... so he became
Billy B Basset. He died young (seeking a cure for his illness brought me to
the Drool).

And then came Vern. He also arrived from the shelter with his name, which
seemed awfully short by local standards. The shelter knew nothing about
him. The individual who dropped him off claimed to have just had him a
week. He was 8-10 years old, an unfixed male (not when he came to us of
course), and a well-meaning dog who loved old people, going for walks
(which seemed to be a new experience for him) and peanut butter. He became
Vernon Q Basset, Basset of Mystery. We never did discover what the Q was
for.

There have been numerous other characters too, but that’s the hounds.

Mary
With Paddi B,
And awaited at the bridge by Billy B and Vernon Q Basset
--
Mary Wilson
(250) 325-9020