[Dailydrool] Names

Nancy Kay nancykay9 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 11:47:52 PDT 2019

As many have already said, it's both fun and amazing to think back about all the dogs we have named over the years. In our case, it's many dogs over many years, since we're both in our 70's and have always had dogs.

Our first dog was Jeff, a blonde cocker spaniel named after Jefferson Airplane, a popular rock group who released "Somebody to Love" in the late 60s.

Next came Maggie, who was half Basset Hound and half German Shepherd Dog. She lived to be age 15, and was our kid before our human kid came along. We consider her our First Basset.

Then there was Heather, a Lassie-look-alike collie. She was a stray, found by Bill's parents when they were visiting in Texas. They tried for a week to find her owners, named her Heather, loaded her up in the passenger seat by the air conditioning vent, and drove her back to California. Since they already had several poodles, a shih-tzu and a German Shepherd, they gave Heather to us. Hair!

Then there was Becky, named by our daughter after some character in a kids' tv show in 1992. Becky was an English Setter/Lab cross, a wonderful sweet girl with a very soft white coat. More Hair!

Then there was Cleo, named after the basset hound on The People's Choice, a 1950's TV show we had watched as kids. She came from an Amish puppy mill in the mountains of Virginia, before we knew better. She died at age 14 months of a brain tumor, and we were devastated.

Then there was Sarah, our first well-bred basset hound. I had just found this thing called the "internet" and the Daily Drool, a wonderful email list all about basset hounds!! Who knew?!? I mentioned on the DD that we were basset-less, and Harry and Mary Lou Chipman put me in contact with Mary Ann Clark who just happened to have a 5-month-old beauty-school dropout who needed a pet home. Mary Ann had already named her Sarah, so we kept her name.

Then there was Frank, who is probably the most famous of our bassets. I made many YouTube videos of his antics, and all together they have close to 1,000,000 hits. This is his most-viewed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S8WKipuw-M

 We named Frank after Bill's Uncle Ralph, who our friend Nan kept calling "Uncle Frank" instead of "Uncle Ralph". Frank was pretty stocky, so he grew into the moniker "Frank the Tank". I had met Melinda Brown, founder of BROOD, via the Daily Drool. When she retired, she started her lifelong dream of breeding great basset hounds, and Frank was one of her first puppies who needed a pet home.

Then there was Tina, who was a retired bitch who had produced several show-champion offspring. Her breeder found herself with too many dogs and knew we had just lost Sarah, so they asked if we could take her. We took her gladly, and she was by far the sweetest of all our bassets. She came with her name, so we kept it. She was often called "Tina-Weena", dubbed by our very young granddaughter.

Then there was (is) Charlie. After Frank died, we wanted another red-and-white male, and the network of breeders we had gotten to know happened to have a 3-month-old pup in Georgia. He was already spoken for, but his breeder had her doubts about the couple who were supposed to get him. That couple were no-shows on the day they were supposed to pick him up, so we went and got him. Our now-grown daughter named him Charlie, for no particular reason that I know of, except he looked like a "Charlie". He also goes by "Chuck".

Then there was (is) Paige. She actually won a Best Puppy in Show ribbon early on, so it was very disappointing to her breeders when her front left leg knuckled under at age 6 months. Paige came with her name, too ... we usually call her "Paigey". Paige is Sweet Tina's great-granddaughter.

Thanks for the walk down Memory Lane!

Nancy, currently owned by Charlie and Paige