[Dailydrool] Names

Michael Meckler meckler.12 at osu.edu
Mon Mar 11 15:29:26 PDT 2019

I love this thread, and hearing all about how folks found names for
their hounds.

My best story doesn't involve a Basset Hound but rather a beagle;
however, the dog was named after a Basset Hound.

Back when I was kid, there was a television series called "The Governor
and JJ." It was a comedy about a widowed governor and his
independently-minded, modern, semi-hippie daughter (or what passed for
this in late 1960s TV comedies). Anyway, there was an episode in which a
stray Basset Hound turned up at the governor's mansion. The dog had no
identification, and no one came to claim the dog. Without a dog tag, no
one on the governor's staff knew what to call the dog, but they
discovered that whenever they called out "Governor" in addressing the
governor, the dog came. So they figured out that the dog's name must be
"Governor." And the governor kept the dog, who made occasional
appearances for the rest of the series.

I thought that was the coolest name, and when later that year my parents
got us a beagle, we named the dog "Governor."

Now concerning my current Basset pack, I named Dermot. I got him from
the breeder as a puppy, and that was the name I had my mind set on from
the start. I liked the name because 1) it was a good, two-syllable name
that a dog could easily learn when being called; 2) I wanted to give my
dog an Irish name, and I like the name Dermot; and 3) I knew it would
not be a common dog name, so that there wouldn't be any confusion with
other dogs when working with him in classes at my local obedience club.
And indeed, I have yet to come across another dog named Dermot, let
alone another Basset Hound. Every year the county auditor releases a
list, in order of popularity, of all the dog names on licenses in the
county (and I live in a large, urban county, so it's quite a long list).
And every year, "Dermot" is at the bottom of the list, with my dog as
the only one. So, as I like to tell folks, "There's only one Dermot!"

Panda, on the other hand, came with that name. And there are about 30
other Pandas registered in my county. So her name is not so unique.