[Dailydrool] Meds and Tummies

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Thu May 9 23:04:50 PDT 2019

Antibiotics are fabulous and miraculous and all that and I am glad to have
them but they can really rip a tummy to shreds and Baytril is no exception
to this. It does the same thing to me as it does to some of the hounds.
Some dogs can tolerate them and others, the first dose brings anorexia and
lethargy and are almost worse than the illness they seek to cure.
Sometimes giving the drug with a meal helps but if the dog isn't eating
that is really silly advice. Sometimes giving a Pepcid or one of those
antiacid types will help, and other times a change of medication is needed.
All of them may cause a depressed appetite, diarrhea and sometimes
vomiiting. I find Amoxicillin to be one of the least offensive and I have
had a couple of dogs who simply could not tolerate Baytril or Clavamox. I
sympathize because there are several I cannot take either.

MomPerson to Merta Lou & Doc