[Dailydrool] Dealing with incontinence

Julie Canny julie.a.canny at gmail.com
Thu May 23 18:43:11 PDT 2019

On April 5th, Guinness had his major back surgery for a ruptured disc.  Three weeks later he started peeing on his own, standing and then walking. (Crooked, but moving forward).  He walked for nearly 3 weeks, and then suddenly 9 days ago he couldn’t walk, lost his appetite and was no longer peeing on his own.  We were hoping that Guinness would bounce back again and pee and poo “purposefully”, but so far it’s not happening.  The vet had us increase the steroids again, plus pain meds, anti-nauseas meds and diarrhea meds.  Because his pee was very red, he went on antibiotics. We use a catheter a few times a day to empty his bladder and he wears a belly band to capture any overflow (or intentional pee).  But poo is another matter.  I am constantly washing floors.  He scoots around the house and leaves a trail of poo.  I went out for an hour today and came home to some interesting new floor patterns.  What products are out there to deal with this in a paralyzed male dog?

The good news is he is eating normally now.  His UTI is much better.  His personality is back.  We are cutting back the steroids to every other day and then stopping them in 2 days (per his vet).

Sent from my iPad