[Dailydrool] Dental on a senior?

houndsabound at cfl.rr.com houndsabound at cfl.rr.com
Tue May 14 06:02:07 PDT 2019

Georgia,
I can certainly understand and share your concern with doing a dental on a senior.   I feel that every time we
Have to do it.   Being a home for seniors here,  I have put many through the procedure, many with extractions and many with no extractions.  Of course if there are extractions, it means longer under anesthesia.
We have not had any bad outcomes except for a couple hounds come out of it worse than others.  You cannot predict it, and even if they did well the time before,  it may changes (at least with one of mine) how they come out as they age.
But I will tell you,  I am adamant about dentals with seniors.
My first senior Basset Sunny,  (who taught me seniors were the way to go!) ended up dying because I had let a dental go and her tooth had abscessed (she did not tell us) and the infection got into her system and she became septic.    16 years later, it still tears me up to think I could have maybe had her longer if I had only been more proactive with her teeth, and also saved her the suffering if how she passed.
So while everyone knows a bad story of anesthesia,  there is also a bad story of not taking care of their teeth.

Unless there is a good medical reason to not do it,   I would.
Just my 2 cents.

Drool to Eugene!

Wen and the Bounders