[Dailydrool] Thanks, Riche!

lois.leader lois.leader lois.leader at cox.net
Tue Oct 8 19:14:38 PDT 2019

Thanks for going to bat for the Old School Drool, Riche! I think many of us prefer it to Facebook. Facebook just moves too fast for me. That issue of Bugle Notes dealing with grief was so helpful! When you mentioned the poem about the best place to bury a dog, it tugged at my memory. I'm wondering if it's this one:

Where to Bury A Dog?
Ben Hur Lampman - 1925

Beneath a cherry tree, where, in its proper season
The cherry strews petals on the green lawn of his grave,
Or beneath any flowering shrub.
Beneath such a tree or shrub he slept, or lifted his head to challenge some intruder.
These are good places, in life or in death.

Yet it is a small matter,
For if the dog be well-remembered,
If sometimes he leaps through your dreams, actual as in life,
Eyes kindling, laughing, begging,
It matters not at all where that dog sleeps.

On a hill where the wind blows, the trees roaring,
Or beside a stream he knew in puppy hood,
Or in the flatness of a pasture lane where cattle grazed,
Is all one to the dog,
And all one to you.
Nothing is gained and nothing is lost if memory lives.
But… there is a place to bury a dog.

If you bury him in this spot he will come to you when you call;
Come to you over the grim, dim frontiers of death,
And down the well-remembered path to your side again.
Another dog will not resent his coming, for he belongs there.

People may scoff at you who see no slightest blade of grass bent by his footfall,
Who hear no whimper;
People who never really loved a dog.
Smile at them, for you shall know something that is hidden from them,
Something well worth the knowing…
The one best place to bury a dog is in the heart of his master.

Does that look familiar? I'm hoping Bugle Notes will continue. What about an issue featuring the funny things our goofball bassets have done? They're always the class clowns. Anyone have some good stories to share? I'll be working something up to send in :-)

Lois Leader with Emma the Aussie Basset Dog and Dobby the House Elf

lois.leader at cox.net