[Dailydrool] 6 months post surgery

Julie Canny julie.a.canny at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 19:26:51 PDT 2019

It’s hard to believe that it’s been over 6 months since Guinness’s IVDD surgery.  We’ve adapted to his disability quite well.  The other 3 hounds treat him just like they always did.  Mulligan still snaps at him if he’s too close to her while she’s sleeping.  MacKenzie still snaps at him when he tries to “get fresh”.  She is, after all his great Auntie.  Gallagher tolerates the little turd, as he always did.  They all still get fed the same way.  Some things are different.  I no longer hear him getting up to go out the dog door in the middle of the night for a quick potty break, and come back to his bed just as quickly.  Instead, I listen to see if he needs his belly band changed and if he’s pooped in the bed.  He still goes crazy whining, barking and howling when either of us gets home after being gone for years (an hour in people time).  He goes crazy if we take one of his peeps away for their own vet appointment.  He still wants his belly and neck rubbed .... all the time.  He wants his snacks.  He cleans up the others bowls if they left a piece of kibble.  He is happy, though he can’t wag his tail to show it.

So here we are, 2 senior citizens and 4 aging Bassets.  Guinness is the youngest at 8.  Life has changed.  I have to do more laundry now and wash floors all the time.  (Always looking for that perfect mop).  I’ve learned perfect number of Belly Bands is 12 (saves on laundry loads).  Each night we listen to the snores of 4 hounds and are thankful that they are all still here.  Guinness is still Guinness!

Julie Canny, slave to MacKenzie, Gallagher, Guinness & Mulligan

Sent from my iPad