[Dailydrool] Howling

LYNN and LINDA FERRELL ldferrell at msn.com
Tue Oct 15 08:56:40 PDT 2019

Thanks for reminders to post and for recent posts!
A few weeks ago we had occasion to leave Lucy in the care of neighbors for a few hours. Construction/open door issues prevented us from leaving her at our house, so she went to their place. While there she delighted in making herself at home.

When the neighbor spent some time practicing her bassoon for an upcoming symphony concert, Lucy accompanied her to the music room. Initially she whined a bit, barked a couple of times and then joined in fully howling with her snout raised high in the classic position. Our neighbor was just sure she was either in pain (ears) or that she didn’t care for the sound. She has not howled for us previously but did a repeat of this performance a few days later so that we could check it out.

Do others have thoughts on the reasons hounds howl, or some good howling tales? What a great sound!
Lucy and her people