[Dailydrool] Bassets past & present

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 05:34:28 PDT 2019

Warf was first and nearly last since he was an aggressive, unpredictable
boy who liked to bite. He wasn't kidding around, either-- no warning nips
for him. I have never known whether it was our bumbling around with a first
dog, or his maybe having a screw loose but he was not your typical Basset
in anything but looks and nose. He, of course, lived the longest of all our
Bassets but after he went for one of our son's friends for no reason-- I
was standing right there and saw it all-- I never was able to trust him
again.
After Warf came the show dogs: Mitchell, Zelda (Mitchell's daughter) Nigel
and Llewis (Zelda's children by a darkly handsome Puerto Rican Basset boy),
then Conley, who after a slow start in the show ring decreed that he was
done with this nonsense and was retired after trying to nail his breeder in
the show ring when she stacked him (the Judge did not see it, and the
moment he did it he fell down in horror and spectators thought he wanted a
belly rub)(In fairness to Conley he had not been shown for quite some time
when this happened, and it is possible that grabbing his rear to position
it freaked him out.)
As he aged we debated getting another Basset but I was done showing, and so
when a little Topsfield bitch came up for re-homing I snatched her up.
Conley passed away not that long ago, but Merta Lou is still right here,
being loved and cherished by Mr Biskit and myself and her housemate, big,
black, hairy Doc.
And that's where we are now. Are our puppy days over? Mr Biskit says no
more dogs. I say, speak for yourself.....