[Dailydrool] Riche; the memories

basset911 at aol.com basset911 at aol.com
Tue Oct 22 15:57:28 PDT 2019

I am but one of literally thousands whom Riche has made such an impact on in her lifetime.Having grown up with Great Grandparents & Grandparents in the show ring with Bassets, "The Bugler" was in the place of honor on our family coffee table since I was but a child.A new issue would arrive, and us mere children had to wait while the adults poured over its contents.  Then and only then were we allowed to "look but don't touch".I can remember one issue where my younger brother COLORED on the cover.  He remembers that mistake to this day I am sure.
When I graduated college, and set out on my own which included the addition of my very own basset pup Cocshall, after winning a category in the Basset Hound Club of Southern California's annual picnic, first prize was a subscription donated by Riche.  What an honor.  I carefully penned a thank you and submitted Cocshall pet photo.  It was printed and the thrill of being published in the childhood bible was without doubt hard to beat.Many years went by where gifted subscriptions were the reward from hard work in basset costuming, until the day I realized this magazine was a life of labor , love and dedication, and subscriptions were the lifeblood required to keep it going.Rescue's began advertising, events, new adoptive homes received a few months paid subscriptions, and the friendship began in earnest.
Over the years emails back and forth always brought a smile.
For many years we rallied the troups and tried to help keep the magazine afloat.  When Riche transitioned to the email format, it brought back memories combined with the newer stories centered on who was your first basset.I have loved the original magazine and the email version for all of my life.  Knowing how she hated the age of computers, it was enchanting to get the monthly email despite it all.
The world of Bassets has lost a national treasure.  She was the center of both new and old.  The structure that held us together.I received word while a group of us were gathered here at Daphneyland prepping for Sunday's Picnic.  The irony of that is astounding.I immediately had old issues on the porch and all of us, the young and the old perused those pages. Smiling through tears at hounds and friends from the past and stories galore.I called our MC for the Picnic (Russ Kirk) and asked if we could have a memorial moment for Riche, and all that she had accomplished.  It was done in the ring and the tears flowed.Somehow it felt right.  A circle complete.
I envision a great circle.  The canines of a life well lived and loved.  Good friends gathered. In the center, weaving her history is Riche.In her glory. At home.  Souls reunited. You could say The Bugler was a coveted piece of my life.I know I am not alone.Our condolences to friends and family, the celebration of her life will go on for many generations.
Dawn (of the West) Smith, President / Founder
Daphneyland Basset Rescuewww.daphneyland.comwww.facebook.com/daphneyland661 269-2682 Public message line661 269 2781 Private direct line
Daphneyland is open to the public on Saturdays & Sundays from 11 - 4. Volunteering, visiting, meet and greet and bellyrubbing.  Adoption apps must have been screened and approved before a hound can go home!SAVE THE DATE!!  Future Events:  Daphneyland will be closed to the public on these dates! October 20, 2019 Basset Hound Picnic in Arcadia Park!