[Dailydrool] Getting around the house

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 22 06:56:01 PDT 2020

Hi all, Snoopy here,
Well I hope everyone is staying safe.  Here at my house everyone is social distancing except Samantha who has to be reminded to stay out of reach on walks because she is miss social butterfly and everyone wants to pet her but momPerson wants people to stay away from her.  Far away.
As far as steps/ramps/ottomans I have them all.  So we have a lot of experience.
Ramps work the very best but they take up a TON of room and are a real tripping hazard for the humans.  I have a ramp from the dog door out to the backyard and another one to get in and out of the basset mobile because those can be managed without my hoomans tripping.
Ottomans work well for dogs that are still somewhat mobile.  I used to be able to use them.  After I went down in the back this last time though I am not strong enough to use any of them except for a HUGE WIDE one in the living room.  I can still use that one by hoisting my front half up onto it and then someone will come along and hoist my back end up onto it too and then I can step from the ottoman to the couch.
We have steps up to the BIG bed in momPerson and dadPersons room.  It's a very big very tall bed (in my defense it has a half high box spring, the mattress though, it's VERY VERY tall).  LuLu and I could never ever use those steps because we are (were) VERY long bassets so steps don't work for us, it's all too confusing .... long bassets don't fit.  Chomper can use them fine, and Samantha loves them because while they are long, they aren't SUPER long.
In summary, in my experience, ottomans are most convenient for the hoomans, ramps are most convenient for the bassets, and steps might work for some bassets in some extreme conditions (ridiculously tall bed).
Love n drool from your pal Snoopy