[Dailydrool] surgery on tail

Carol Yokum racetrcker at aol.com
Tue Aug 11 11:41:48 PDT 2020

When we got Dino in April, 2019 he came with assorted lumps and bumps.   We had three cysts removed plus some kind of growth on one of his toes.   He still has a few lumps which we are keeping an eye on.   One of these is on his tail pretty much up next to his rear end.   It had stayed the same until very recently when it got a lot bigger and he started licking on it which he had never been doing before.   So we went to the vet  a week ago of course and she said that it was infected and leaking pus.   He has been on antibiotics for a week and we went back this morning.   She said that it is still infected and that his tail needs to be amputated.   She had their surgeon look at it and he said the cyst could not be removed since it has gotten so big and that there wouldn't be enough skin on the tail to close up the opening that would be needed to remove it all and said that the tail had to be amputated.  I asked what would happen if we chose not to dock the tail and was told that the infection would spread in his body and could affect his heart valves and other things.   I pretty much knew this but just wanted it verified.
I don't think I've ever seen a basset with an amputated tail.   And we used to go to the basset picnic every year when we lived in Southern CA and there were a ton of bassets there every year.   Has anyone on the Drool had their basset's tail amputated?   If so, how did they do without it?   The vet said the tail is basically for body language and they do fine without it.

When we went in a week ago it was for the tail cyst and his ears too.   I have never taken him to a vet without finding out that he had infected ears.   Early on it was surprising to hear since he never showed any signs that his ears were bothering him.   Now I just expect to get his ears flushed and treated.   Last week one was bad and the other was very bad.  So they treated them and I have been putting medicine in them twice a day and flushing them every other day.   The good news today was that one is OK again and I can stop treating it.   The other is better but still needs the treatment for another two weeks or so.  So at least one of his problems is getting better.
Any input into amputated tails will be much appreciated.   I usually get such good feedback from the Drool family and am so grateful for it.
Carol (and Dino who is 8 /12 year old now.