[Dailydrool] I am NOT a vet - tail

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 11 15:28:43 PDT 2020

Hi it's Dale,
So years and years ago I pulled a dog at the shelter with lumps and bumps, promptly foster failed.  Named her Gracie, had her for years, lost her at age 14.  She had a golf ball sized cyst on her tail when I pulled her and the doctor said she couldn't remove it without removing the tail because there wouldn't be enough skin for it to close et al and the tail would end up amputated.  I asked her to try draining it and she said it'd never work, it'd just fill back up.  I persisted and she did slice into it and drain it.  I kept it clean with hydrogen peroxide and polysporin.
The vet was right, it did fill back up, took a couple months but it came back.  At that time Gracie went in for a dental and the vet sliced it deeper and was able to clean it out while Gracie was under .... it shrunk down to the size of a pea and stayed that way for months ... then it blew up again but I didn't notice till it burst.  What a mess, smelly too but I kept it clean with hyrdrogen peroxide and polysporin and it healed.
As I remember filled and opened up on it's on 2 or 3 times more until it finally just healed and stayed healed.  It had been gone for years when I lost Gracie and she died with her whole tail and no cyst.
I do not necessarily recommend what I did with Gracie, these Cysts can grow fast, are often painful, and playing with infection is never wise.  It did end well for Gracie though.  Maybe ask the vet if they are willing to try draining it?
Good luck,Dale