[Dailydrool] OEBE/BABES

Mary Wilson mary.gabriola at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 19:43:30 PDT 2020

Paddi B Basset always aspired to be a member of the OEBE.

Well, not really. She actually aspired to be In Charge of the OEBE. In her
younger years, though, she mostly confined herself to imperious looks, and
to bossing Billy B and later Vernon Q Basset around.

Vernon, perhaps most noteworthy for his climbing abilities, joined us after
the height of the OEBE era. We learned of his climbing ability very early
one morning -- around 2, as I recall -- when he cried out for rescue from
the top of my desk. He had climbed aboard, we determined, on the office
chair, which inconveniently scooted away, leaving him marooned. He had
eaten the catfood on the desk (long story), and sensibly enough wanted to
descend. The husband was Not Amused.

His most famous climb was to the dining room table, where he discovered to
his delight and amazement a large jar of peanut butter with the top off.
His lapping -accelerated when I entered the room. I was somehow too
startled to take a picture. The event gave rise to Vernon Q's motto: "Per
ardua ad peanut butter" - Through Adversity to the Peanut Butter. (With
apologies to the Royal Air Force, who prefer "Per ardua ad astra" for some
reason.)

Billy, on the other hand, was a perfect gentleman and would never have done
any such a thing. Only dog I ever met who would wag his tail in the middle
of the night if he heard you go past. He's been at the bridge now for
almost 15 years, and I still miss him.

Mary & Paddi B. (And Simba, the Formosan Mountain Dog, too)