[Dailydrool] From the Past

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 02:01:19 PST 2020

For those of you who have been on the Drool awhile you may recognize Nigel
and LLewis and Mr Cooper Sir from years ago. For those who are newer, Nigel
and Llewis were brothers of my breeding and Cooper was their Belgian
Sheepdog referee. Here is one of their less chaotic adventures in winter
weather. Maybe some of you will recognize yourselves dealing with your own
Houndies (we have all been here).:

Because MomPerson (who is writing dis--THIS) has old, flat feet she buys
really expensive padded socks to keep the feets from falling off when she
stands on them all day at work, on the cement floor. Very expensive socks
(for her)
She guards them with her life you know where this is going, don't you, all
you smug Basset people out there?

SOooo. Last night it rained and the wind was fierce.Then it sleeted and the
wind was fierce. Then it snowed just a touch, enough to make it super bad
and leave 1/2 of ice beneath the snow.. (Oh yes, I know what you're
thinking..."my dogs would NEVER...")
At 4:30 there was a general stirring in the ranks.I had gone to bed very
early, blown away by the sheer volume of food and drink over the weekend,
and the fun of seeing all my kids again (two leggers).(All 2 of them,and
their spouses.) So everyone wanted out. My first hint was that the back door
was frozen shut. This is never good with four dogs leaping at you because
they have to pee right now. Cooper charged out first with something in his
mouth followed by Nigel with a suspicious bulge in his lips... MY SOCKS!  MY
$15 A PAIR SOCKS!!! ONE PAIR OF THREE THAT ARE LEFT!
NOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I stick my head out the door and say sweetly, "Cooper, come here dear.Get a
treat" HA! Dodge bounce dodgebounce run. It is cold, he feels great, let's
play. Nigel takes one look and he is off also. In my jammies i put on my
muck boots, grab the super flashlight and head out. It is COLD!  No no, says
Cooper: "Bracing. It's bracing. It's SHOWTIME!!" Nigel thought this was
wonderful. So the two of them are galloping around the yard with my socks, I
have on jammies and boots and a flashight and with the wind is it -22 altho,
luckily, I am unaware of that as I give up and go to the door.
Hahahahahahahahahaha. It is frozen shut. It is now  4:45 in the morning,
black as pitch except for the flashlight and the door light and I am
standing in my little jammies outside with four expectant dogs behind me,
thinking "Breakfast" and perhaps by now "Cold".(What I am thinking is not
printable.)
I push, shove, kick and finally take my fist (the flashlight cost megabucks,
no way am I using that) and smash the door handle until it opens. Everyone
charges past me, nearly knocking me down, causing me to let go of the door
which slams and instantly freezes shut. Luckily, not as securely, and
besides, Nigel is now on the inside leaping on the door trying to get me to
give him a treat, so the door opens.

After I defrost a bit I send the Big Dog out again to get my socks, which he
obligingly does. He gets a handful of treats, the others get nothing.I don't
care how envious they are.
I really am. Really. Next time around, I am raising hamsters.

Really.
MomPerson to Llewis, Mitchell and Bad Boys Nigel and Cooper
Those of you in this weather, keep warm! Get those little doggie coats and
boots out.