[Dailydrool] Struvites

Sally Russell sally at slokr.com
Thu Dec 17 09:40:15 PST 2020

Thanks for the info. on the raw diet.  Our vet wants Nellie to have the
minimal animal protein as in RK SO canned food, a small amount of dry food
with water added to the food..  We can supplement with pumpkin, low fat
yogurt and a minimal amount of organic chicken breast.

She is allowed some veggies and fruits, as well as Fruitable treats and the
RK SO treats.

Since it seems it is her calcified kidney which is causing the stones and
infection, she is on Baytril for one month and will then have an X-ray of
her kidneys to see if the large stone in her calcified kidney and the small
stone in her working kidney have been dissolved or reduced.

She is also on Cranberry supplements and a stronger probiotic Visbiome.
Our vet has also suggested Chanca Piedra which helps dissolve stones and is
sold at Chewy.

These days, non-functioning kidneys are only removed as a last resort.
Nellie's kidney values are fortunately normal.

We are hopeful this regimen will help her.  Curiously, she does not have
accidents and even during the night, she holds her urine until the morning.

Sally Russell