[Dailydrool] Sleep issues in a basset of mature years

Mary Wilson mary.gabriola at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 08:48:17 PST 2020

Hi everyone,
I'm seeking advice. As many of you know, my dear puppy Miss Paddi B Basset
is now 16 years old. She has had amazing health throughout her long
life, and has arrived at this great age with basically no chronic health
conditions. She is pretty much deaf and blind (cataracts), and we notice
now some weakness in her back end.
This is not what I seek advice about, however. It's here sleeping!
She sleeps fine during the day. At night though -- oh my. Within the last
3-4 months she has started getting up several times. At first it was just
getting up -- barking to go out, etc. Now it's escalated to the point where
she gets up a few times, barking and whining.
Last night was the worst so far. She got up shortly after midnight, and my
husband went out and sat with her for an hour or so. She paced around while
he was up for 20 minutes or so, then eventually settled and went back to
sleep. She woke up again around 3 and stood in the kitchen and barked for
maybe 10 minutes solid. (felt like more.) I got up with her. She wanted
basically nothing to do with me -- fleeing from me as if I was going to
murder her. (This was not my intent. I was trying to encourage her back to
bed.) I let her be for a few minutes, then eventually was able to escort
her to her bed. I stayed near her on the couch for a couple of hours, and
she slept until sometime close to 6, her usual rising time.
Our vet has checked her over. She doesn't have a UTI and her blood work is
good. He suggested something to help her sleep, so we're trying 100mg
Trazodone. At first we gave her 1 a night. Worked for a couple of nights,
then stopped, so for the last two nights (at vet's recommendation) we've
tried two.
We're all thinking it is some kind of canine dementia. I know some of
your hounds have dealt with this, or you have, however you think of it! Any
suggestions for better hound management? We are continuing to consult the
vet, too.
Thank you! We are tired. Paddi sleeps comfortably all day -- us not so much!
Here's to a peaceful and healthy new year to all of us, person and hound
and all other beings as well.
Mary, with Paddi B Basset