[Dailydrool] Is it his time?

Julie Canny julie.a.canny at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 11:13:10 PST 2020

Putting this all in writing  is difficult.  We have been owned by 8 dogs, 5
of them Bassets.  Losing our first Basset, MacKenzie at 12, a few months
ago was heartbreaking, but the decision to let her go was very clear.
We now have 3 hounds.  I am really struggling with what is best for
Guinness and what is best for DH and I.  Guinness has CUPS and has had most
of his teeth removed.  He had his first back episode about 5 years ago.  21
months ago, he was in horrible back pain and was diagnosed with IVDD.  He
had emergency back surgery to repair the disc.  After surgery, the surgeon
told us that he had several more bad discs, but additional surgery was not
recommended.  When we brought him back for his post op check, he was still
not able to stand and could not urinate without expression or catheter.
The vet recommended putting him down.  Our adult daughter was with us,
having just flown home for Easter. She begged us to wait.  We took him home
and within days he started to stand and then to walk.  He was able to
urinate without a catheter.  We were thrilled to see our goofy boy back.
He walked for about 10 days before another disc blew.  This was in May
2019.  He wears belly bands.  He has wheels for outside, but drags himself
in the house.  He has to have pain pills a few times a day (for his dental
pain) and medication to deal with diarrhea.  Bathing him is a super
challenge, so he smells bad most of the time. He snaps at the other 2 dogs
if they come too close to him.  They know he has few teeth.  Even without
this pandemic, we cannot travel.  He still loves getting his belly and chin
rubbed.  But most of the time he sleeps or whines. Belly bands work for
pee, but poop happens.  I have a mop handy at all times.  I do more laundry
for him than I do for the two of us.  He was such an active happy goofy
hound. Now he is grumpy most of the time but with occasional bouts of
happiness.  We have had dogs for over 40 years, when these guys are gone,
there will be no "replacements".  My head tells me to let him go, but my
heart can't let go.