[Dailydrool] Addison's Disease

MARY TIPPING mtipping1 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 12 04:58:35 PST 2020

Nancy, my experience:  Leo (ATB) had a terrible bout of pancreatitis (he tested positive) in July, 2014.  He recovered after a week of meds, but then in February, 2015, one day he had trouble walking and and, as I recall, he didn't want to eat and just generally didn't look well.  He went outside that morning and had bloody diarrhea.  We thought it was pancreatitis again and immediately took him to our vet.  They thought it best to have further tests done so he was then admitted to the ER vetspital that day.  I am not sure what test(s) they did but apparently he had undiagnosed (or mis-diagnosed) Addison's disease.  I had noticed that Leo had been very lethargic for some time but was still eating (ID kibble) and didn't notice much else wrong with him in those six months.  He was in the ER from Tuesday until he went to the Bridge on Friday.  He was only nine years old.  Devastated, I have still not forgiven myself for not being there, though we visited him each night, and for not catching the disease sooner.  Addison's is called the "Great Pretender" because many dogs are misdiagnosed with IBD, pancreatitis and other gastro problems.  It is also treatable if caught early.  Given that I lost one Basset to it, I am hyper vigilant with all of my others.  Here is an article you may find helpful:   https://www.dvm360.com/view/addison-s-disease-what-s-new-with-great-pretender

Mary, Flynn and new foster Otis II, with Harley, Biggs, Leo, and Otis ATB.