[Dailydrool] Grain free food

Nancy Schaefer jonquil4 at charter.net
Sun Jan 12 17:51:15 PST 2020

After getting a harsh doom and gloom lecture about grain free foods from one
of our vet techs, I  chose to mix a bag of Natural Balance chicken with rice
kibble with the Earthborn grain free weight-control kibble that my hound has
been eating with enthusiasm.  Hoping this mitigates the concern over grain
free, which probably has to do with bio-availability of taurine and other
nutrients.  We also feed some freeze dried food and a wide variety of treats
and appropriate table scraps.  I would urge everyone to avail themselves of
the information available on the internet on the subject of canine
cardiomyopathy and diet.    And please do not wait until your hound exhibits
symptoms of cardiomyopathy before adjusting your food:  a hound may (or
tragically may not) survive a cardiomyopathy diagnosis, but there is no
recovery from it, only treatment in hopes of prolonging life.  My two cents.

Nancy, mom to Casey atb, Hadley atb, Toby atb, and Tucker Hound (enjoying a
variety of chow)