[Dailydrool] Avocados

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 29 15:09:56 PST 2020

Hello from Dale,
Val is right, they shouldn't eat the skin (mine do) and they shouldn't eat the pit either.  Snoopy doesn't eat the pits.  Chomper has a nasty secret.  He came into rescue, surrendered under suspicious circumstances, and was fostered in my home.  I started the process of switching him from pet store kibble to high quality kibble.  Day 1 he ate.  Day 2 not so much.  Day 3 he was showing all the signs of obstruction ...... hunched over, lethargic, struggling to poop with nothing forthcoming, had to be coaxed and ate very little, toward the end of day 3 he was struggling to poop in the yard and not one, not two, but THREE rocks came shooting out of his backside within the period of about 90 seconds.  Ah HA!!  Appetite came right back and the boy was fine.
Chomper took a while to warm up.  It was probably 3 weeks before he gave me belly.  When he did first present his belly ..... there was a fresh incision.  And another, identical, healed one right next to it.  4 year old dog.  We were told he was in perfect health.  My boy is a foreign object ingestor.  Repeat offender.
He sometimes eats the avocado pits too.  Sometimes he manages to poop them out and sometimes he manages to puke them out and sometimes he doesn't manage to swallow them.  I have absolutely no control, other then the power of prayer, which I use daily, as Chomper is my heart.  I have pruned the tree back to the fence (it's not in my yard) but the wind, the squirrels, and seemingly G-d himself all conspire to give my hounds avocados.
Goodbye from Dale, who loves her naughty little boy.