[Dailydrool] Avocados

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 28 17:11:06 PST 2020

More on avocados,
After my initial post, my friend Kim emailed me that her vet had said avocados were highly problematic for dogs.  Given one of my dogs’ (IPo)’s extreme love of avocados, I’ve done a lot of research on the topic.  Apparently the skin of avocados contains pectin, which is not good for dogs, though not fatal.  And the seeds, if swallowed whole, can cause obstructions.  But the soft inner parts of an avocado don’t seem harmful to dogs (although they are fattening).  Avocados, on the other hand, are toxic to horses.  The worst problems with avocados for dogs seem to be diarrhea if too much is consumed (or weight gain) so vets recommend limiting quantity of avocado innards consumed.  IF your dog eats the skin, varieties of avocados not from Guatemala or  Mexico have less pectin. Also ‘not ripe’ avocados are more problematic than ripe ones, which have few negative effects except the fattening aspect.
 I am fortunate—we have a big avocado tree.  when my dogs harvest them, they are meticulous about breaking them open and licking out the insides, leaving the skins and seeds intact.    Val