[Dailydrool] Sleeping Arrangements

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 23:32:19 PDT 2020

Mr Biskit and I also no longer share sleeping space. It began partly with
my Restless Legs and partly with a new puppy who cried at night and I began
sleeping on the couch with one hand touching the puppy and no, I no
longer know which puppy it was.
Over the years I have shared my single bed with any number of hounds and
herders. but currently have had to enforce a no-hound rule at night. This
may change. The problem being that the Herder, ever alert, actually MOVES
when I say "move" so that there is room for both of us and I can move my
legs. If my legs are terrible and have a life of their own, I can say "get
down" and the Herder instantly is off the bed.
His BFF, Ms Merta Lou, takes a dim view of orders and commands and even, at
night, requests. She likes her comfort. Is that a human leg she is laying
on? Too bad. I say "MertaLou, move" and she stares at me blearily and
replies "Say what?" (I confess, sometimes she just laughs.) If I push on
her she instantly gains 50 pounds. If I say "Get down" she doesn't. If I
say "Merta Lou PLEASE get down" she doesn't then, either. If I sit up and
say "Lets get a treat" she stays put and says "You go first."
So reluctantly I have learned to put the stair steps to the bed that she
requires away at night. This means the Herder is allowed but she is not and
is a hurdle we seem unlikely to resolve in the near future. (We would need
a whole new house to put a bigger bed in.)
Cheers to all who have learned ways to deal with this.
And to all who have not, as well.
MomPerson to Merta Lou and Doc.