[Dailydrool] Happy Ending - Samantha Jane's bloat

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 30 13:46:05 PDT 2020

Hi all, it's Dale,
I've been debating about even writing this ... it was terrifying and I don't want to upset anyone.  If you don't like drama and you would recognize bloat in a hot second in one of your dogs then please just delete and keep on going.
If you're new though ... you might want to read on ....
As I told you in early July, Samantha has Addisons, she crashed fast and it almost killed her.  I took her to the vets first thing on a Friday morning and they had her all day on IV fluids, her blood work was crazy, she wouldn't eat, the potassium was through the roof, thankfully the Dr figured it out and ordered the Addisons test.  This was July 3 though, and the vetspital was to be closed on July 4.  You may remember the vet wanted Samantha to go to the 24 hr emergency vet till the 5th, and we had a fairly heated exchange in the parking lot, but in the end I took her home and cared for her myself.  On Saturday she bloated ..... it all happened so fast I'm positive they wouldn't have noticed in time to save her if she'd been at the ER.  Here is exactly what happened ....
I was staying in the same room with Samantha, who was gravely ill, when she leapt to her feet and started licking the air.  Then she RAN outside and started frantically eating grass.  Remember, she was refusing food.  Sandy Gaston (G-d BLESS that woman) rang in the back of my head "If you ever have any thought that maybe your dog might be bloating lead with GasX RIGHT NOW, 4 of them, and THEN figure out whats wrong with your dog"  I typically lead with 2 wait 90 seconds, and then maybe 2 more.
So, I ran for the box, punched out two as fast as I could, ran for the back yard, and shoved them down her throat.  Nothing.  She was still in obvious distress trying to eat grass.  I forced her to come inside with me and locked the dog door.  I was about to go get 2 more GasX when I saw it happen.  I've heard other people describe it but I've never seen it before myself, not like this.  She turned toward me and her gut started to expand just exactly like someone was filling up a balloon. I watched with horror as it expanded (nearly doubled in size, in seconds) and then started to TORION TWIST you could SEE the stomach turn sideways and then all of a sudden the bubble seemed to burst and the stomach just started to go back down in size the way it was before all of this started and she heaved a sigh and lay down in the middle of the room.
Worst 90 seconds of my entire life.  July 4.  Vet closes.  Addison dog who CANNOT take stress of going to ER vet.  She is JUST fine though thanks to the wisdom of the drool, a well stocked medicine cabinet and the grace of G-d.
If you don't have symethicone and GasX in your medicine cabinet, buy some.  And if you don't have benadryl buy some of that too please
She's fine, just fine, her skin cancer surgery went well yesterday and she is asleep on a dog bed in the office here with me.
More later from Dale, who used to be known as the clueless momPerson until she learned one or two things