[Dailydrool] Nellie and we thank you all!

Sally Russell sally at slokr.com
Tue Jun 2 07:52:33 PDT 2020

Glad to hear our "escape artist" isn't so unusual.  She did have a litter
of puppies, according to our vet,  which the very bad people most likely
sold and then tossed Nellie out with her two sisters.  Nellie is a
beautiful and petite basset with huge eyes rimmed by what looks like
permanent mascara.  From the moment we adopted this copper and white
freckled beauty, she has loved to be petted and loved on.

I do think with her, it is probably more she smells something tantalizing,
like a dead animal under our deck.  She would often roam around the deck
and smell the boards.  We had a crate for her the first months but after a
few months, she never went in it.  She much prefers her big furry beds in
the living room and our bedroom or lying on the couch with us.

Tomorrow, the deck will be sealed at the bottom with boards, as we are
afraid she could wiggle under there again, and as the space is so shallow,
not be able to be retrieved.without tearing out some boards or her getting
harmed.

We have tried to explain to her why we are not letting her out there
without our being there and watching her every move, but she just looks at
us with those huge eyes.

Yes, Asheville is a wonderful city and we hope soon to leave Miami and move
there.  Nellie got to play with one of her sisters last summer, as her
foster mom has adopted her, and they ran around and around playing.  I am
sure they recognized each other.

Sally, Bert and Nellie