[Dailydrool] Finasteride for enlarged prostate

Nancy Schaefer jonquil4 at charter.net
Mon Jun 22 19:11:19 PDT 2020

I'm hoping for advice from anyone who has had their boy diagnosed with
enlarged prostate.  My Tucker (nine years old) had some bleeding in his
retinas, which led to a diagnosis of extremely high blood pressure.  He is
now on amlodipine which is controlling the BP.  Vet needed to do an
abdominal ultrasound to see what was causing the high BP (usually caused by
a tumor/inflammation somewhere).  Found a very enlarged prostate, which may
mean cancer.  Did an unreadable needle biopsy.  Vet suggests neutering him
and doing a tissue biopsy at the same time, but says that another option is
to put him on Finasteride to reduce his testosterone and thereby shrink the
prostate.  This would not immediately address the issue of potential cancer.
He is scheduled for surgery on the 30th, but I'm not sure that's the right
way to go.  Anyone have experience with this?  This cancer is apparently
quite rare in dogs, and if it is cancer, neutering him won't cure it  ( I
don't think there are any good treatment options for prostate cancer in
dogs)  Meanwhile, Tucker is his normal happy doggy self with no overt
prostate symptoms (other than the high BP which is being controlled).

I don't know what to do.  Any advice?

Thanks -

Nancy, mom to Tucker