[Dailydrool] Prostate Cancer

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 07:18:48 PDT 2020

I only have second hand knowledge, but my Bugsey's littermate brother Tank
was diagnosed with prostate cancer when he was about 5 or 6. It is
indirectly my fault it was found. Sharon was trying to decide how long she
was going to pay the rental fee on a semen container. I told her she should
consider collecting semen from Tank and adding it to the tank first. So,
she decided to have him collected and the semen was full of trash. So, they
treated him for an infection and tried again. This time there was less
trash, but very little semen. So, they went to investigate the problem.
Turns out he had an enlarged prostate and in the early stages of prostate
cancer. So, she neutered him. He is now 10 and going strong. She was really
struggling with whether to collect him or not. Not because of his
conformation. He is a grand champion and drop dead gorgeous. He has a great
temperment. He is a certified therapy dog and he visits nursing homes, and
hospitals. He is not a library reading dog like his beloved mother because
he just doesn't sit still long enough when he isn't being loved on. She
thinks he is a total jerk. And, he is, but it is her fault. He jumped on
the gas stove one night while she and hubby were gone and he turned on the
gas burners when he jumped down. When they got home. all the dogs were
passed out, but still breathing. She had to drag her 4 dogs and 2 fosters
out of the house and call the fire department. Hubby had a heart condition
and couldn't help. Her show line is LARGE. All except for Bugsey are 60+
pounds. Bugsey was the runt of the litter and he is only 52 pounds. If she
forgets and leaves the gate down, he will run upstairs and pee on her bed.
He shredded an entire case of the old fashioned pin fed computer paper. I
had a hard time trying to explain that his offences had nothing to do with
his quality as a sire. Anyway, he has been doing great since the neuter. He
was fortunate and they caught it before it was causing any symptoms and it
hadn't spread.  I hope the best for Tucker. May he have as good an outcome
as Tank.

I have had three dogs with insanely high blood pressure. I know that
Bismark had it for 4 years. He was diagnosed with it at 9 when they got the
equipment and he was the experimental dogs they used to practice using the
equipment on. Then we tested his sister, Bubbles and she had really high
blood pressure. To the best of our knowledge, Bismark did not have cancer,
but he did have an autoimmune disease that was causing iriditis and muscle
loss. Bubbles was a healthy little horse, but she started having strokes a
year after she was on BP medication. Elwood had high blood pressure when we
adopted him at 7. I have no idea what would have been causing this. this
was all over a decade ago. I finally had to have him put to sleep when we
could no longer control his pain from arthritis and he gave up on me. All
three lived to be 13. I know that Snoopy has high blood pressure and Dale's
vet told her that bassets are more prone to it. Just background
information. My crew will be drooling for Tucker.

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey, and Browyn the Fairy Princess